The Queensland Country Women's Association was established in 1922, offering a network of support and friendship to many women who were isolated in the rural areas of the huge state. A branch was launched in Eumundi at the end of 1927.
One of the branch's priorities was to construct restrooms in the town, near the railway station, in order to assist travelling women and children, as well as serving the local families. There were few public facilities in those days to accommodate women travelling on the train, let alone those with young children.
Eumundi's restrooms were officially opened on 26th October 1929. The building had cost £140 but the industrious members completely erased the debt within twelve months through tireless fundraising initiatives. The versatile hall and its innovative organizers have accommodated a wide range of local needs ever since: from looking after unaccompanied children travelling by train and a local Child Welfare Clinic, to dances and concerts, local business meetings, private parties, Sunday school services, and all sorts of social events. And, of course, for many years the CWA members provided catering for all sorts of occasions, including the tea and scones that the CWA is famous for.
The building has undergone four separate expansions, helping to provide the versatility that has served the town for almost a century. Renting out the space has been a reliable source of income for the branch, allowing them to assist other charities as well as the town of Eumundi.
Today, the Eumundi CWA Hall remains an important part of the local community. Members still meet weekly and sell their own products to raise money for community needs and charity. The association also continues to prioritise improving the lives of the community through fostering deep friendships and support networks.